SharePoint 2013 has been declared EOL on April 11′, 2013. Microsoft currently does not provide any support or patches for SharePoint 2013, making the version wholly retired. The lack of security patches for the SharePoint 2013 EOL version will have deep implications for users, as the application is now prone to security issues and lack of support. Though Microsoft has announced the SharePoint 2013 EOL date well in advance, some users are still running on the retired platform.
Though users can migrate the SharePoint 2013 EOL version to SharePoint 2016, they will have limited time to use the 2016 version, as the EOL date is 14’ July, 2026. The only solution will be to migrate from the SharePoint 2013 EOL version to SharePoint 2019 or SharePoint Online.
Risks of Using the SharePoint 2013 EOL Version
The discontinued official support for the SharePoint 2013 EOL version will make users depend on third-party service providers for any issues involving a definite cost factor. There will also be challenges in extensibility and integration capabilities, which impact your business operations.
For every application, security is paramount, as crucial business data can get compromised. Microsoft regularly assesses new threats and provides security patches for users of current active versions. The lack of security patches will make the SharePoint 2013 EOL version prone to security breaches, and such vulnerability will have severe implications for your business. Dependency on third-party vendors for security-related issues is also not the preferred way, as migrating from the SharePoint 2013 EOL version is the officially recommended choice.
Dynamic business requirements need constant innovation in the form of feature enhancements. With the SharePoint 2013 EOL version, new feature additions are challenging and will not give the optimal benefits, impacting your business continuity.
With the above drawbacks and implications of using the SharePoint 2013 EOL versions, we recommend migrating to SharePoint 2019 or SharePoint online. Do read ahead to know what each version offers and how you can benefit from the migration.
Options for Upgrading SharePoint 2013 EOL version
Upgrade SharePoint 2013 EOL to SharePoint 2019
SharePoint 2019 is a viable choice for upgrade, as it offers a host of features that enable easy workflow automation and rapid creation of OneDrive personal sites, along with communication and team websites. It has a modern UI for simplified usage and sharing files. SharePoint 2019 has an extensive collection of templates for website development. The version is an on-prem installation and runs on physical servers, suiting a CapEx model. Here are the key features of SharePoint 2019.
- Easy email communication by directly sending them from the App
- Increased storage space of 15 GB for files in SharePoint document library
- Simplified document sharing, with “Move to” and “Copy to” options
- Conditional formatting of modern lists to easily access status information
- Unified access for all sites from the SharePoint 2019 homepage
- Integration with OneDrive as a Next Generation Sync Client (NGSC)
- Suits businesses that have regulatory requirements to have their databases stored on private networks
- Enhanced support for customizations and suits scenarios where applications cannot run on a cloud environment
- Includes a Hybrid App launcher that enables easy navigation from SharePoint 2019 Server to M365 Apps
- Facilitates usage of Power Apps, Power BI, and Power Automate on an on-prem deployment
Once you upgrade from the SharePoint 2013 EOL version to SharePoint 2019, you can move to SharePoint Server Subscription Edition, which comes with the below benefits.
- OpenID Connect 1.0 and People Picker enhance authentication and access management
- Simplified upgrade with support for Windows Server 2022
- Hybrid search functionality with thumbnail view
- Increased storage capacity and security
- Easy generation of sites, lists, and libraries
- Better integration with Power Apps and Power Automate
Upgrade the SharePoint 2013 EOL Version to SharePoint Online
SharePoint Online is a cloud-based version, giving users the flexibility of anytime and anywhere usage across any device. Customers and vendors can access it with secure authentication. The SharePoint Online version does away with a heavy CapEx model seen with on-prem deployments and has a pay-as-you-go subscription model. It is available as a standalone package, as an App, or as a part of M365 Enterprise plans.
Key Features of SharePoint Online
- Seamless integration with Microsoft Teams
- Suited for leaner usage where upfront physical infrastructure and maintenance costs are a deterrent
- Real-time collaboration with lists, sites, and calendars
- Simplified creation of intranet sites
- Compliance with regulatory standards such as HIPPA, ISO 27001, and FISMA
- Automatic updates and data back-ups
- Easy integration with M365 Apps and Power Platform
The above features of SharePoint Online do come with a limitation of customization, as the online version only supports a little customization when compared to SharePoint 2019 on-prem edition. We recommend that users evaluate the individual benefits of each version and make a viable choice.
New Era Technology, a Microsoft Solution Partner, has deep expertise in custom solutions across the Microsoft technology stack. If you are looking to upgrade your SharePoint 2013 EOL version to SharePoint 2019 or the online version in the Middle-east region, covering UAE, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia & Kuwait, do contact us, and we will be glad to help.