Zoom fatigue aside, we do have to participate in video calls sometimes – and they can be great for connecting with your team, getting to know people better and collaborate not only across the hybrid company, but across the globe. And by now we are all aware that videoconferencing is here to stay.
Here are some tips on how to create meaningful conversations virtually
- Step one prior to any call is to check your audio and video. Sign into your meeting a minute early to make sure your sound is working, that your light is good and your background clean.
- After making sure your setup if working, our second-best tip is to ensure everyone is aware what is expected from the meeting. An agenda for the call is very helpful. Always include one, even if it’s just a short sentence summarizing what you wish to achieve, or a few bullet points. It makes it easier for everyone in the call to prepare. And once the meeting has started, repeat your agenda and try to keep the conversation to that topic so it’s not running late, and you get the information needed.
- Ask how people are. Addressing people individually or asking how people are doing sets a personable tone to the meeting. It will help people feel included and engaged.
- Dressing correctly also helps set the right tone for the meeting – and to give a good impression of yourself. Read our dress code guide here
- Meeting with new people? A conversation piece can be a good ice breaker whilst waiting for someone running late or before getting to the “real stuff”. A desk plant, interesting art or a fun background can help get the conversation going.
- Be yourself. Don’t try to come across any different than you normally would in the office setting. Bring your personality into the meeting and keep your voice at your normal tone level.
- Stay focused. People can see you and will therefore notice if you seem to be replying to emails or checking your phone rather than paying attention to the meeting.
Did you know that we can deliver your collaboration solution fit for hybrid working – based on your needs? You’ll find more info about our solutions here